In another pair of shoes that could be mine.

I am putting myself in another parent's shoes tonight.  I often try them on for size, hoping I will never have to wear them, but find myself needing to get them half way on before taking them off like it wasn't a good idea.  But, it is a good idea.  Empathy is a quality I strive to have.  Empathy puts me in my place and yet, feels like knowledge for future use. 

In their shoes, I can only imagine some of the things I might feel if I applied them in my life experiences:

1. I am living in a nightmare. This isn't real. I will wake up and she will be upstairs singing in the shower.

2. I am jealous because my child is gone and there are other children laughing and singing and crying and....living.

3. I am mad because other children who claimed to once love her ignored her, shunned her and talked behind her back, like she was a "drama queen, like she was negative, like she didn't make them "feel good" and I don't like to be around people who don't make me "feel good, " even if I dish it back just as fast as its served. I didn't want to be associated with anyone outside the cool group." 

4. I am mad because no one even cared to check up on me or her, when they knew there was a problem, or there was distance that raised a red flag. I am mad because avoidance isn't something to implement when it comes to the emotions of a 13 yr old.

5. I am sad because I will never walk her down the aisle, spoil her children, and send her Christmas bundles.

6. I want to trade places. Take me instead. I deserve to be the one because I let her go....I didn't do enough.  I didn't tell her I love her enough. I beg for one more day and one more chance.

7. I have to accept this, mostly because I have other children who need me and perhaps they are my second chance.

I will take that second chance.

Lord, help me to be a better mom, friend, wife, neighbor and coworker.  Give me the tools to say what I feel rather than just think about it or write about it all the time.

Give me my shoes back.






Disclaimer

have no idea what really goes on or went on in another persons shoes.  I know that there are so many circumstances I don't know about. I sympathize with anyone who loses a child. I only know what I might possibly feel.  I pray I will never have to find out.  






Comments

appliedexpress said…
This brought tears to my eyes. I love reading your blogs. You are a great writer. Always engaging and insightful.

Popular Posts