Day 16

Thankful for conversations I am not a part of.

I get distracted at home.  I guess the laundry calls my name.  The painting jobs I need to finish are glaring at me.  I just can't focus sometimes.

So, I often head to the coffee shop.

I put my headphones on, but often (and I'm ashamed to say) I don't have anything blaring through my ears.  I just like to have them on so it doesn't seem like I am listening to other conversations around me.

Truthfully, I am really not listening ALL the time.  I really am focused on my work, but when I do, I get little snippets and if I jumble them all together, I get a really cool perspective on life.

Today, as I graded papers, listened to professional training meetings, emailed students, and created powerpoints, I also wrote in my blog and......


I learned that you can't go rent a gun to shoot at a shooting range alone anymore.  People who rent guns alone have used them to commit suicide, So, some ranges only rent to two or more people, because if you have a partner with you, you are less likely to shoot yourself.

I smiled at a grandma and grandpa taking their grand daughter to get a cake pop.  They sat around her, watching her savor it.  She didn't just pop it in her mouth and be done with it, like you know you and I would do.  She was milking the attention and enjoying each careful lick, picking up the crumbs that fell on the dirty table.  Her grandparents were mesmerized by her.  30 minutes to eat a cake pop.  Priceless time spent before taking her to a movie and no doubt she'd get her own little box of popcorn and memory that will live with her.

I appreciated the retired teacher saying how easy it is to copy papers for students nowadays, as long as the copy machine isnt broken.

I wondered if the police officer was worried about the students he sees in the school who get in trouble every day.  He seemed to be concerned and I wonder how hard that would be to bottle up what he sees every day.

I'm tired watching the baristas move, constantly, and wonder if they get sick of the smell of coffee.

That's just a few of the conversations I "wasn't eavesdropping in on."

Thankful for the lessons learned through chatter that isn't mine.

Comments

Popular Posts