Like a bra...supportive and a bit annoying, perhaps.

I think we all have expectations on how we should be supported by others, based on what we feel comfortable doing ourselves. 

For example, I feel like I am being supportive when I do the following things:

1. Show up to other's events.  I can't make every event, but I like to see people do stuff, especially  kids. Just showing up to clap and watch is supportive.

2. Listen. Be there to hear the ups and downs of life. Of course, every relationship should be a two way street and I thrive on two way conversations, so I want to be listened to AND given feedback. Listening is being supportive.

3. Ask questions. Sometimes people don't know what they need and you aren't a mind reader, so just asking if there is anything I can do is being supportive.

Be there, listen, and ask questions! How else can I be supportive?

Can you feel supported by someone you know doesn't agree with you?

Comments

Popular Posts