Safety and Angels
On October 24th, I sent Benjamin down the road to the bus stop. It's 5 houses down the street. I can see him if I stand at my door and watch him until he passes the 3rd house. I usually walk him down and watch him get on the bus so I can wave to him as he pulls away. On this day, I didn't plan well and sent him off to the bus, but I just, frankly...well, I had to pee. I watched him walk down to the 3rd house and had to run back in the house. On this day, I didn't actually see him get on the bus. I heard the bus, and logically, I knew he was on it, but something about today bugged me.
I didn't see him get on the bus, so did he?
This question haunted me. I waited 30 minutes and then called the school.
"Can you just ease my crazy mind and let me know that Benjamin got to school and is safe in class?"
He was there, in class; SAFE.
My butterflies were gone.
On October 24th, just 1 hour after my butterflies left, 5 children were gunned down at school.
Those 5 children got on the bus, SAFE.
But, they weren't.

Comments