Bad Things and Miracles

I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. It is not meant to be a political or religious statement, but just my late night thoughts.  I have to write them down sometimes so I can finally sleep.  Please don't feel the need to debate against me or judge my faith in God. I only share because I love to write and sometimes keeping it to myself is painful. 

Anyway...I have been thinking about that age old, sometimes faith-stripping question,

"Why do bad things happen to good people?" 

First of all, I have no flipping idea and neither do you.  You really don't know why things happen, or if there is a reason at all.  You may have faith, hope, and experienced love enough that you believe there is a "big picture" or a Master plan.
You might be so overly logical and proof driven that you believe there is a random coincidence or explanation for everything that happens and if you aren't certain, you chalk it up with a big zero reason for existence.  You may be purposely oblivious to it all.  But, really...you have no flipping idea either.

Let's take a child, born innocently into poverty in a 3rd world country.  His parents died of illness and he lives alone on the streets begging for food.  Why?

Let's take another child and give her cancer.  Watch her parents, friends and family grieve after months of hoping and praying for a miracle that would breathe life back into that little girl who used to dance around in her underwear, jump on the bed, and stay up too late causing a ruckus.

Let's take the student walking to class, gunned down by a mad man.

Need I go on?

Good people, sweet and innocent children...

I don't know much, but I know a miracle when I see it.  And, "I have seen miracles just happpen and silent prayers get answered."

I can't help but think that if nothing bad ever happened, that miracles wouldn't happen either.

Could bad things happen to good people so that miracles could exist?  Could it be so?

Then, with a miracle, sometimes we'd have a good Samaritan give that homeless and parent less child a home, food, and an education so he could grow up and change the lives of others.

Also, a miracle could throw a cancer into remission, or give a patient much more time with loved ones after a terminal diagnosis.

And, a miracle could force a brave person to put themselves into harms way to grab the gun of a mad man, saving the potential lives of many.

Bad things happen to good people still...but miracles happen too.   Both can change a life.

Without miracles, how would we really and truly appreciate life?

I feel my God at work in these miracles.  I feel my God at work when I see the good in the world.  I see my God at work in the eyes of a good person fighting a courageous battle.  I believe in miracles...I don't know, but still, I believe .

Comments

Popular Posts