Little Successes
My boy is really somethin' else.
I say something else, because there are countless parenting books out there, many "diagnosis', and many suggestions out there to help parents discipline and raise children. For Ben, at times, I think I need SOMETHING ELSE.
He is highly sensitive, easily frustrated, and he wears his heart and all his emotions on his sleeve. This makes it hard for him to handle disappointments, failures, and mistakes he and others make. I'm not going to say every kid doesn't have this kind of struggle at times, but for him, it's just harder. It really does make it hard for people who don't already love him to stick around. I am positive as he matures, and continues to learn that he is going to make it...if I don't ship him off to boarding school (just kidding,).
So, I never know what he going to do in any situation.
He's got to learn.
He's got to try new things.
He's got to be put in situations that are out of his comfort zone.
So, I signed him up for flag football.
He really loves it, but he can't just brush off disappointments.
He is disappointed if it isn't his turn to play.
He gets mad if the other team scores or he can't grab their flag.
He just can't "go with the flow." He is not easy going.
We say "use it!"
If he is mad, try harder next time.
If he makes a mistake, say "oh well, it's just a game."
If he doesn't get to play, we say "wait your turn."
Sometimes he can, sometimes it's the end of the world.
Today he got the teams first interception. He did great!
He was over the moon with pride....for about 3 more plays and then he was pouting off the field because the other team scored.
I just need SOMETHING ELSE!
What is my something else? Well, I can tell you what it's not:
It's not the glares of other parents who wonder why that kid can't chill out.
It's not the judgements of other parents who wonder what is wrong with him.
It's not the suggestions of other people who tell me that they would "smack" that attitude right off.
My something else is prayer. I pray for wisdom to do the right thing by him, to help protect his heart while encouraging him to control his emotions, and for others to accept him and love him.
He is going to a loving husband someday. He will know that God has a plan for him. He's going to learn to use his disappointments and failures and turn them into successes. I can see him, building up the list of people who love him and who think...
Wow, that guy...our guy, "He really is somethin' else!"
I say something else, because there are countless parenting books out there, many "diagnosis', and many suggestions out there to help parents discipline and raise children. For Ben, at times, I think I need SOMETHING ELSE.
He is highly sensitive, easily frustrated, and he wears his heart and all his emotions on his sleeve. This makes it hard for him to handle disappointments, failures, and mistakes he and others make. I'm not going to say every kid doesn't have this kind of struggle at times, but for him, it's just harder. It really does make it hard for people who don't already love him to stick around. I am positive as he matures, and continues to learn that he is going to make it...if I don't ship him off to boarding school (just kidding,).
So, I never know what he going to do in any situation.
He's got to learn.
He's got to try new things.
He's got to be put in situations that are out of his comfort zone.
So, I signed him up for flag football.
He really loves it, but he can't just brush off disappointments.
He is disappointed if it isn't his turn to play.
He gets mad if the other team scores or he can't grab their flag.
He just can't "go with the flow." He is not easy going.
We say "use it!"
If he is mad, try harder next time.
If he makes a mistake, say "oh well, it's just a game."
If he doesn't get to play, we say "wait your turn."
Sometimes he can, sometimes it's the end of the world.
Today he got the teams first interception. He did great!
He was over the moon with pride....for about 3 more plays and then he was pouting off the field because the other team scored.
I just need SOMETHING ELSE!
What is my something else? Well, I can tell you what it's not:
It's not the glares of other parents who wonder why that kid can't chill out.
It's not the judgements of other parents who wonder what is wrong with him.
It's not the suggestions of other people who tell me that they would "smack" that attitude right off.
My something else is prayer. I pray for wisdom to do the right thing by him, to help protect his heart while encouraging him to control his emotions, and for others to accept him and love him.
He is going to a loving husband someday. He will know that God has a plan for him. He's going to learn to use his disappointments and failures and turn them into successes. I can see him, building up the list of people who love him and who think...
Wow, that guy...our guy, "He really is somethin' else!"


Comments